PhytoMAX LED Grow Lights Knowledge Center
This guide to our PhytoMAX full spectrum lights is a brief overview, filled with links to a lot more in-depth information.
In the box you'll find:
- 1 new PhytoMAX grow light!
- An 8-foot, 14 gauge 120V North American outlet (NEMA 5-15) power cord
- 1 pair commercial LED hanger clips
- 1 pair Heavy Duty Ratcheting Light Hangers
Please save the protective foam and box your light came in!
- Be careful while hanging your PhytoMAX LED grow panels; they're heavy, do not attempt to hang the lights alone!
- NEVER look directly at the LEDs while they are on; eye damage may result. They're bright!
- Don't over-load your electrical circuits- two PhytoMAX 800's / PhytoMAX 1000's won't fit on a standard 15-amp, 110V household circuit!
- For more information and advice, consult your electrician and see our guide to the safe number of LED grow lights per circuit here.
- We recommend protective eyewear when viewing or working with plants under our lights. PhytoMAX contains UV LEDs, which just like natural sunlight can irritate and damage your eyes. We offer Black Dog LED Grow Glasses which not only protect from UV but also color-correct to more easily view your plants under our lights.
Hanging your Light
- We recommend tying a stopper knot at the lose end of the rope to prevent over-extension of each of the ratcheting rope hangers.
- DO NOT attempt to hang a PhytoMAX light alone- at least two people are recommended!
- Ensure that the structure you'll be hanging the light from can support its weight plus some extra for cords, etc.
Light Weight PhytoMAX 1000 53 lb24 kg PhytoMAX 800 50 lb22.7 kg PhytoMAX 600 34 lb15.4 kg PhytoMAX 400 24 lb10.9 kg PhytoMAX 200 14 lb6.4 kg
- Insert a metal hanger clip into the hanging bracket either side of the back of the light. Ensure that both ends of each clip are secure.
- Clip one end of each of the ratcheting rope hangers to the hanging/anchor point on the ceiling, and the other end to the metal hanger clips attached to the light. The ropes should be hanging straight, not pulling the hanging brackets toward or away from the center of the light.
- Adjust the ratchet to hang the light at the recommended height.
- Ensure there is always a minimum of 6 inches / 15 cm15 cm / 6 inches of clearance both sides of the light that have vents. Failure to provide adequate clearance can cause the light to overheat. The sides without vents and the top of the light do not require any clearance.
Recommendations for Proper Use
The footprint calculations given here are created for photoperiod-sensitive Cannabis or other high-light plants in a square growing area. If your situation is any different (larger, smaller, different crop, etc.) you may need a different footprint size and hanging height.
For a complete guide to footprint issues, see our guide to the ideal LED grow light setup.
|Light||Mode||Maximum Recommended Footprint Size||Hanging Height for Square Coverage of this Footprint Size|
|PhytoMAX 1000||Vegetative||8 x 8 feet244 x 244 cm||46 inches117 cm|
|Flowering||5.5 x 5.5 feet168 x 168 cm||32 inches81 cm|
|PhytoMAX 800||Vegetative||7 x 7 feet213 x 213 cm||40 inches102 cm|
|Flowering||5 x 5 feet152 x 152 cm||29 inches74 cm|
|PhytoMAX 600||Vegetative||6 x 6 feet183 x 183 cm||35 inches89 cm|
|Flowering||4.25 x 4.25 feet130 x 130 cm||25 inches64 cm|
|PhytoMAX 400||Vegetative||5 x 5 feet152 x 152 cm||29 inches74 cm|
|Flowering||3.5 x 3.5 feet107 x 107 cm||20 inches51 cm|
|PhytoMAX 200||Vegetative||3.5 x 3.5 feet107 x 107 cm||20 inches51 cm|
|Flowering||2.5 x 2.5 feet76 x 76 cm||14 inches36 cm|
- The Phyto-Genesis Spectrum® in each PhytoMAX LED grow panel is ideal for both vegetative and flowering growth; only the footprint size differs.
- Maximum Recommended Footprint Size
- This is as much as we recommend stretching our LED growing lights for photoperiod-sensitive Cannabis, but running them over a smaller footprint (to a point) will give a higher yield per square foot. Other crops (including auto-flowering Cannabis ruderalis strains) may have different ideal footprints.
- Hanging Height
- Measured above the average top of the plant canopy. The higher you hang the light, the bigger (and weaker) its footprint will be; hanging it closer makes the light more intense but also decreases the footprint.
PhytoMAX Growing Tips
There are two important differences when growing with PhytoMAX LEDs:
- We recommend keeping your growing area 9-10 °F5 °C warmer than you would with other lights (85 °F29 °C for Cannabis) to maximize yield.
- If not growing hydroponically, we recommend using fabric pots with our lights; they allow soil to dry out more quickly since our lights aren't heating it as much. This allows faster nutrient cycling and encourages a better root system.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Keeping the glass under the LEDs clean will ensure more light gets to your plants. Every few months we recommend cleaning the outside of the glass on the bottom of the light:
- Turn off the light and disconnect the power cord.
- Clean the outside surface of the glass with a standard glass cleaner and a soft towel.
- Once dry, plug your light back in.
Issues and Questions
Black Dog LED wants you to be satisfied with your PhytoMAX light!
Please note that our LED growing lights contain infrared and ultraviolet diodes that are outside of humans' visual range, so it is normal for some of the LEDs to appear dim or unlit.
If you have any questions or issues with your lights' function, please contact Black Dog LED, not the store it was purchased from. You can:
Common to All PhytoMAX Lights:
|Acceptable voltage range||100 - 250 volts AC|
|AC frequency range||50 - 60 Hz|
|Operational temperature range||-4 to 104 °F-20 to 40 °C|
|Spectrum||Phyto-Genesis Spectrum® covering 365-750nm, including UV and IR|
|Certifications||ETL, CE, FCC, RoHS|
|M.T.B.F||> 50,000 hours|
|Power Factor||> 0.98|
|Fans||70,000 hour expected life|
|Light||Wattage (average)||# of 5W LEDs||BTUs||Size (LxWxH)||Weight||Amps (average)|
|PhytoMAX 1000||1015||441||3461||21 x 21 x 7 inches53 x 53 x 17 cm||53 lb24 kg||9.2||8.5||4.6||4.2|
|PhytoMAX 800||800||342||2728||21 x 21 x 7 inches53 x 53 x 17 cm||50 lb22.7 kg||7.3||6.7||3.6||3.3|
|PhytoMAX 600||600||256||2046||18.75 x 18.75 x 5 inches48 x 48 x 13 cm||34 lb15.4 kg||5.5||5.0||2.7||2.5|
|PhytoMAX 400||425||182||1449||15.75 x 15.75 x 5 inches40 x 40 x 13 cm||24 lb10.9 kg||3.9||3.5||1.9||1.8|
|PhytoMAX 200||215||90||733||12 x 12 x 5 inches31 x 31 x 13 cm||14 lb6.4 kg||2.0||1.8||1.0||0.9|
Transitioning Plants From Other Lights
When switching plants grown under other lights to PhytoMAX's Phyto-Genesis Spectrum®, some shock and/or stalling can occur, as with moving plants between any other different lighting situations. Our LED grow lights are very intense and contain UV light (unlike many grow lights), either of which can shock plants not used to such lighting.
To adapt plants to our lights with as little shock as possible, hang the light at twice the recommended hanging height to start. Each day for about a week you can lower the light by 3-4 inches15-20 cm until it is at the recommended hanging height and your plants have adapted.
When starting seeds under our lights it is fine to use the normal footprint and hanging height; when seeds germinate they adjust to the lighting conditions they first experience. Raising the hanging height of the light can lead to leggy, weak seedlings.